View Products by $$$
Installing proper lighting outside of your home is one of the best ways to improve safety and security. Of course, you don’t want the lights to always remain on as this may become distracting when attempting to sleep, not to mention it will unnecessarily increase your energy bill.
Instead, it is better to invest in outdoor motion sensor lighting. With this setup, the lights will turn on when motion is detected. This is helpful not only for your family when moving about outside, but to also shine a bright light on anyone who might consider approaching your property.
However, with so many outdoor motion lights available on the market it can prove difficult to know which is not only a quality product but which is the right light for your needs.
Here are our favorite outdoor motion sensor lights currently sold. If you’re in need of an outdoor motion sensor light and you find one on this list that checks all your boxes, feel free to follow the Amazon link to the product page. This is one purchase that will drastically help boost your home safety and security without forcing you to spend much money.
Things To Consider
Outdoor motion lights are not an everyday purchase. Because of this, you may have no idea what to look for or what makes one product better than the next. While there is no one-size-fits-all outdoor motion sensor light for everyone there are a few specifics you should keep in mind to help determine the light that best fits your needs.
Once you know what to look out for and what to consider you shouldn’t have any problem at all selecting an outdoor light that works for your property.
1. The Kind Of Light
Ideally, you want LED lights. These are brighter and will last longer. Changing out motion sensor lights can be a bit of a pain because these lights are usually higher up and you need to break out the ladder and other equipment to make it to the bulb. So naturally, the less often you have to change out the light the better. LED lighting is often smaller as well, which makes it easier to install in certain locations. LED lighting also has the ability to come with a solar-powered options. Traditional bulbs use too much in the way of energy. Because of this if you want a solar-powered light you’ll need to go with LED.
2. Light Cast Angle And Light Distance
It’s a floodlight, so you want a lot of light. But where is the light directed, and do you need one sensor light or a series of sensor lights to cover the given area?
The best way to determine this is the distance your motion sensor lighting will travel and the illumination angle.
Does it light up the full 180 degrees of one side (so with two lights you can fill an entire property)? Or maybe you need a smaller angle to avoid blasting light into your neighbor’s window.
Whatever you’re looking for, this is something to consider.
3. Power Source
This one is often overlooked but extremely important.
What kind of lighting source does your motion sensor lights require? Can you use a rechargeable battery or does it connect to a traditional power source? If you have easy access to the lights (such as when installing on a patio) the battery option may not be a bad way to go as it is easier to install. Solar power is a third option to consider when it comes to the power source. However, this may limit the locations where the lighting can be installed as most solar-powered lights will need to receive 8 to 12 hours of daylight every day to function throughout the night. If you’re having the light installed higher up or under a roof overhang you will likely want a traditional power source.
Before you go out to make any kind of purchase it is a good idea to have a general of not only what you need to pay for an outdoor light but what kind of budget you have for the light. There is a relatively wide spectrum of possible price points when it comes to outdoor motion sensor lighting. You’ll generally pay around $50 and, from there, pay upward of $250. The light fixtures that do cost $250 come with all kinds of extra features that may fit into your home’s security system.
Ultimately it comes down to what you need in light and what kind of features you’re interested in paying for. But which lighting feature is perfect for your home? Keep reading to find out.
Just something else to consider.
Top Motion Sensor Lights Under $50
Sometimes you don’t need a super-fancy motion sensor light. There are times when instead you just need a light that is easy to install and will help illuminate a walkway or the area by a door. When this is the case you need to consider the Solar Light Outdoor Motion Sensor Waterproof Light from Aytech Solutions.
This particular light can be installed on a wall through two screws, or it can be placed right on the ground. It has a triangular shape that allows it to be placed on the ground so it is anchored firmly.
The LED light is solar powered with auto light and motion sensor motions. With the auto on the light will turn on automatically at dusk and then turn off at sunrise. This way, if you have a path you want to highlight during the dusk and nighttime hours you can have this helpful light ready to go.
Or, if you want to take advantage of the motion sensor feature you can have the motion element turned on. When activated it will turn on when it detects movement within a six to 10-meter range. When activated, the light will turn on for 20 seconds and then click off (there is also a feature that will have the light first dim to 1/3 its standard brightness and then click off after another 20 seconds).
- Installed in just about any desired location
- Easy to use solar lighting
- Multiple light settings
- Fantastic lighting option when you just want a light to highlight a walking path or a door
- Can adjust the light to remain on throughout the night, or to have it click on after detecting motion
- Can be installed on a wall, ceiling, or floor
- Motion sensor distance is small
- Display angle is not large
- Isn’t as bright as some other options listed here
Price range: Under $20
This is an excellent floodlight when you have a local power outlet to use. It isn’t hard-wired like many of the other options, nor does it require a battery or run off of solar power. This makes it a fine option when you want a plug-in-play design with power.
The light is great for plugging in or around your garage, or even in your patio. As it is disconnected easily it isn’t necessarily for security purposes, unless you have it out of reach. It is waterproof and produced 1000LM of light, making it especially bright.
The detection function works from 8 to 12 meters and will shine line in a 120-degree angle.
- Super easy to install
- A great addition to the backyard or garage when you just need a security light
- Has a perfect 5-star rating on Amazon (over 50 reviews)
- An affordable addition to your outdoor lighting
- Must be plugged into a power outlet, so its area of use is limited
- Motion sensor range isn’t great when compared to other designs
- Not the best in security setups as it can be unplugged
Price Range: Under $20
The name might be a mouthful but it’s also one of the best looking outdoor motion-sensing lights on the market. Sometimes you don’t want the obvious floodlighting installed over the driveway but instead would like something with a classic design. That is exactly what you receive with this.
While it might not be as bright as others it still has a suitable lighting angle. This is the kind of light you go with when you want an outdoor motion sensor light with style. It’s also an excellent purchase to pair with one of the other motion sensor lights that can throw the light further. In terms of lighting options, this is the only motion-sensor lighting option that looks like a regular door light on classical home design.
- Decorative style light looks similar to traditional outdoor door lights
- Oil rubbed bronze metal construction
- Clear seeded glass
- 60-watt bulb (not included)
- One of the best looking motion lights on the market
- Can be installed next to the front door and look right at home
- 2-year warranty
- Solid 150-degree lighting angle
- Uses traditional incandescent bulb and not LED
- Lights only up to 30 feet away
The LEONLITE is an excellent outdoor security floodlight thanks to its two-head design. This makes it easier to not only cover two areas of an outdoor area but to direct the lighting as you see fit. When installing the lighting you can adjust where the light is pointed. This way, you can have both pointed directly ahead, or if you have a split-garage you can have each light pointed toward opposite garage doors. Having two lights does give you more leeway, which helps make this waterproof security floodlight an excellent purchase. It is also an affordable purchase that is an official Amazon’s Choice selection.
This lighting setup comes with two lighting options. You can opt for a clean, white light look, or you can go with the warmer “orange” appearance. Beyond the color of the light though there isn’t much difference between the two designs
- The dual-light design makes it possible to illuminate a complete 360-degree area
- LED lighting has the power of a traditional 150W bulb
- Light heads can be adjusted to fit any directional needs
- Comes in both clean white and warm lighting configurations
- Easily light up any area. Can be installed on a garage, utility pole, or anywhere else needed
- Money-saving LED lighting cuts energy usage while extending the life of the bulb
- 360-degree lighting angle
- Lighting distance is not as great as other options
- Does require some self-installation
These outdoor motion lights are solar-powered, so not only will you save on your energy bill but you’ll never find yourself swapping out a dead battery. The lights are stationary and don’t come with swivel heads, but when you purchase the outdoor lighting you’ll receive a four-pack, which means you can adjust the directional lighting based on how you install it. The lights are small so it’s easy enough to install the lighting around your property without any issue.
Lights click on when movement is detected within a 3 to 5 meter range, which makes these lighting options desirable more for lighting up a walkway or driveway over providing security lighting for your property (while the name of the product dubs the motion lighting as “security lights” the shorter movement sensing range of the lighting is better used for walkway lighting).
As these lights are solar powered you do need to make sure the tops of the lights are exposed to daylight. this means placing the lights on the underside of a roof or having part of it covered by a gutter, tree, or any other overhang will prevent the light from receiving the necessary charge. Due to this, if the area you need light doesn’t receive at least 8-hours of daylight every day you will want to go with a battery or wired power source.
- Easy to install
- Solar-powered so there are no wires to deal with
- Never change batteries again with the solar-powered design
- 28 LEDs in each light
- Motion range of 3 to 5 meters
- Inexpensive and a single pack comes with four motion lights
- Solar-powered so you’ll save money on energy
- Durable and waterproof
- Must receive at least 8-hours of sunlight a day, otherwise will not work throughout the entire night
- Motion range is on the short side
- Not as bright as other wired options
- Lighting travels about 10 feet, which is also on the short side
There are times when you need to get a bit unorthodox regarding how you install your outdoor motion sensor lighting. Perhaps you don’t have a great option for attaching it to your house. Or maybe you want to install lighting in the back yard around where the kids play. There will be times when you want the freedom to move your outdoor lighting based on events or what’s going on outside. When this is the case the Equipt lighting is perfect for that.
These lighting designs come with an adjustable base that can wrap around a sturdy object. This way you can wrap the base around tree branches, fencing, plumbing, or just about anything else outside. The motion sensor lighting does pick up movement within up to a 13-foot range. It also uses 3 AA batteries so you don’t need to run a power outlet to the outdoor lighting, nor do you need to rely on solar power.
Now, these lights are not screwed into a base as the lighting is designed to be ultra-portable. This means these lights should be used more as either a temporary lighting installation or something that you use within a fenced-in area. This is because the lights can easily be taken down, so if you’re looking for a security lighting design you’ll want to go with something else. But in terms of easy to set up when you need an area outside illuminated, this portable and weatherproof lighting design is perfect.
- Runs off AA batteries
- Portable and weatherproof
- Can attach to just about anything
- Adjustable base and swivel head allows you to direct lighting anywhere
- Motion Sensor of up to 13 feet.
- Easy to move to nearly any location
- Runs off batteries, aiding in its portable design
- Adjustable head allows you to point lighting in any direction
- Motion sensing distance is minimal
- Easily stolen as the light is not screwed into a base or secured to a foundation
- Will require batteries to be replaced frequently
When you don’t want to fiddle with adjusting a bulb head and you just want the most spread of light you can get, these Solar Lights from Mitaohoh are fantastic. Amazon’s Choice winner comes in a four-pack design and has three directional LED lighting pads. This way you’re not just throwing light directly under the light but also to the right and left side.
The lights are also solar-powered, which makes it easier to install these lights just about anywhere around your property and there is no large bulky battery pack or wiring needed. Each individual lighting unit lights up a 270-degree angle while using 1640 Lumens (which is one of the highest on the list).
Motion sensing on the lights will range between 12 and 26 feet. This way you can have the lights cover just about your entire property running up to the front sidewalk.
These lights are designed to take just about any weather condition, ranging from snow and rain to strong winds and excessive heat. This makes these lights a fantastic addition to your property as long as the lights receive at least eight hours of sunlight a day. Now, this means some sides of your house may not be suitable for the solar lighting due to shadows, so you’ll need to keep this in mind, but as long as you have the available sunlight, these motion sensor lights are an excellent purchase.
- Amazon’s Choice as a top outdoor motion sensor light
- Comes in a 4-pack
- Throws light on 270-degrees of surrounding space
- Easy to install
- The solar-powered design makes it easy to install the lights just about anywhere
- The 270-degree lighting spread is one of the largest (all within a small package)
- 13-26 foot motion range makes it possible to fine-tune how far out you want the motion to set off the light
- Comes in a 4-pack so you can install the lights around the house or property
- Need at least 8-hours of sunlight to fully charge the solar battery. This may limit where you install the lights
- Non-adjustable lighting fixtures
- Can’t be installed directly under a roof, gutter, or in the shade, otherwise, the solar panelling will not receive the necessary charge
Top Motion Sensor Lights Under $75
These solar lights come in multi-packs (this particular setup is a 2-pack). The design makes each look like a security camera and the solar panel on top can be adjusted to best absorb the most amount of light.
As the GardenLife motion sensor lights are solar-powered and no power cable is required you can move these about and install the equipment just about anywhere. Each light is small as well, so it won’t take up much space, which makes it great for installing anywhere from your backyard patio to the front of your home.
The lights will click on for 30 seconds after detecting motion and then click off as long as no further motion is detected.
It takes 8 hours of sunlight to fully charge the battery. As the lights will not remain on continuously over the course of a night (a full charge will give about 5-6 hours of light) it is fine if you live in a cloudy area (or if it is cloudy during certain times of the year).
- Motion sensor distance can be adjusted to 16 to 26 feet, which gives you ample coverage space
- Waterproof design
- Easily installed
- The LED lighting to help extend the life of the solar battery
- Installs just about anywhere with a drill
- Motion sensor distance of up to 26 feet is excellent
- The solar panel can be adjusted to better absorb sunlight
- Light throw angle is not as great as other lights
- Does need to be exposed to sunlight
Price Range: Uner $60
Top Motion Sensor Lights Under $100
When it comes to lighting power this is one of the top-performing outdoor motion sensor lighting options on the market. With a price tag of under $100, you’re getting impressive performance (and one of the best-rated motion flood lights sold).
The floodlighting uses a dual-lighting configuration, which allows you to direct the lights in nearly any direction. The circuitry is fully shielded so external radio frequencies will not disrupt the floodlighting. The lighting setup also allows you to adjust the sensitivity control. This way, if you only want the floodlighting to pop on when someone is walking up to your property (and not just when they walk past it on the sidewalk) you can do that. This will help prevent the lighting from unnecessarily turning on.
The RAB Lighting is also available in multiple packs. This way, if you need several lighting setups you can purchase a two-pack, which is great when you want a motion sensor light on the front of your property and on the rear (or if you live on a corner lot).
- Senses 180 degrees in one direction. With dual lighting can sense up to 360 degrees
- 1000 watts
- Fully shielded lighting for max radio frequency protection
- Adjustable sensitivity control
- Uses incandescent bulbs instead of LED
- Will use more electricity than LED lighting
- Not solar powered
10. Mr. Beams MB3000 High Performance Wireless Battery Powered Motion Sensing LED Dual Head Security Spotlight
Here is the first battery operated outdoor motion sensor light on the list thus far. This will either be something you’re interested in or something you’ll want to avoid based on the battery feature. If you have plans of installing the lighting extremely high up on a roof or utility pole somewhere you might want to go with a different lighting option as you will need to eventually change out the battery.
The lighting setup offers 500 lumens of brightness. You can also select either an all-white design or if you want the lighting to blend in with the night sky you can opt for a black design. The lighting uses LED lighting, so the bulbs will last longer. The LED lights also use less energy than traditional bulbs, which means you won’t need to replace the battery all that often.
The lighting design uses two adjustable lighting heads that can rotate and move 180 degrees up and down and 135 degrees from side to side. The lights are not as moveable as some other designs, but you should still be able to adjust the lighting to fit most of your directional needs. Lights have an active motion-sensing range of 30 feet and will automatically turn off after 30 seconds of no movement.
- LED lighting
- Directional lighting heads can be moved to better fit your needs
- LED lights that last longer than traditional bulbs
- Can be installed in only a few minutes
- Comes in white and black color designs
- Moveable lighting heads
- Lighting heads do not move as much as other available designs
- Battery-powered may not be for everyone as it will eventually require changing
- Not as many lighting configurations
Top Motion Sensor Lights Under $250
When you want the end all-be all in the world of outdoor motion sensor lighting the Ring Floodlight Camera Motion design is absolutely the device you need to go with.
First, it is a Ring device, which means it is specifically designed for home security and monitoring. Ring makes everything from camera-based peepholes for your front door to smart locks, interior security cameras and everything else in between.
The ring is also owned by Amazon, so it directly works with Amazon Alexa. This means when the floodlights go off you can receive a notification on your smartphone. You can also control the floodlights through your smartphone and watch the video feed anywhere you are in the world. Additionally, as there is a two-way talk feature you can talk to whoever is outside. Basically, this device doubles not only as an outdoor flood light but also as an outdoor security camera as well.
If you have an Amazon speaker in your house you don’t even need to use your phone. You can simply talk to the speaker to turn on the light. The device also comes with a lifetime theft protection warranty, so if it is ever stolen Ring will replace it for free.
If you’re not yet in the Amazon echo system it may be the perfect time to begin installing new smart technology around your house. However, if you use Google Assistant as your smart assistant you may want to look for another option as Ring (owned by Amazon) is not directly compatible with Google or Apple’s Home Kit.
- 1080 HD video camera feed
- 1800 lumens (one of the brightest on the consumer market)
- 140 horizontal and 78-degree vertical illumination
- Smart floodlight you can control from anywhere in the world
- Receive live updates on your phone (and can look-up a live feed on your phone or Alexa controlled screen)
- 1800 lumens
- Two-walk-talk makes it easy to communicate with someone near the light
- Can’t adjust lighting direction as much as other brands
- Costs more than stand-alone floodlighting
- Smart light/camera only works with Amazon Alexa
Finding The Right Outdoor Light For Your Home
An outdoor motion sensor light is a fantastic way to increase your home security and boost the safety of everyone in your home. Whether you’re looking to install the security light above your driveway, in the backyard, or above your front door, there is an outdoor motion sensor light for you. We’ve sifted through thousands of lighting options available to give you this list of the best outdoor lights in a number of price points and features so you don’t have to. Whichever you decide to go with, if it’s on this list you can rest assured it’s an excellent investment.