Incorporated in on May 28th, 1996, Amazon.com, Inc. offers numerous services and products through its multiple websites. The company is comprised of three primary company segments which include North American, International, and Amazon Web Services.
The products offered on Amazon are merchandise that the company will purchase at wholesale and resell as well as products listed that come from third-party sellers. The company also now offers a subscription service for many items that often see repeat purchase which can lower the consumer’s cost per piece.
Amazon owns multiple subsidiaries one of which is its food division, Whole Foods Market, Inc. which offers healthy food options. Another of Amazon’s subsidiaries is its Kindle Direct Publishing and Amazon Publishing which provides fulfillment, digital content subscriptions, advertising, database offerings, and publishing.
The company focuses their goals on providing consumers with a good selection, lower prices, and convenience. Their websites are designed to accommodate hundreds of millions of products in dozens of categories such as:
The websites are mobile friendly and can also be accessed through an app. Amazon also produces and sells its own electronics line which includes Kindle e-readers, Fire tablets, Echos, and Fire television sticks.
Amazon Company Facts, Net Sales
Amazon is one of the highest producing online companies with an annual net sales in 2017 of $177.9 billion. Over the past 13 years, Amazon has significantly increased its net sales year after year with this year alone up $40 billion over 2016.
In the past ten years, Amazon has increased its annual sales by almost $150 billion with its 2008 figures begin around $19 billion. Want to know more about the amazing sales Amazon is known for? Check out these Amazon Company facts listed below.
- Amazon’s recent year sales figures make its sales more than the gross domestic product of all of oil-rich Algeria which was around $173 billion in 2017.
- $60.5 billion of those sales were in the quarter of holiday shopping alone.
- The total marketing capitalization or market share value of Amazon stock is $669.8 billion.
- The value of Amazon market shares is more than the combined value of all but 16 countries.
- If Amazon were a country, its net sales would make it the 146th richest country.
- The CEO of Amazon, Jeff Bezos is the world’s wealthiest man.
Amazon User Statistics
With so many products and services that are available through Amazon and its subsidiaries, the customer base is extremely diverse, and their target market encompasses all consumers around the world. Some of the interesting facts about those who use Amazon are:
- Half of all web shoppers will go to Amazon to search for a product.
- 51% of consumers planned to do all of their holiday shopping on Amazon.
- 64% of households subscribe to Amazon Prime
- 40% of all Amazon Prime members will spend over $1,000 a year on the site.
- 72% of all Amazon users will spend between $100 and $500 annually on the site.
- 26 million consumers are regular Prime Video watchers.
- Over 100 million users use Amazon Prime globally.
- Amazon Users spent more than one-third of all their black Friday dollars on Amazon.
- Millenials tend to be the highest market as they are twice as likely to use Amazon as a Baby Boomer.
Amazon Device Stats
Amazon offers a wide range of devices to meet the technological needs of their diverse customer base. Items such as Amazon Alexa, Fire Tablets, Kindle, and Amazon Fire TV stick are helping to keep customers connected with movies, music, and loved ones. Check out these interesting stats about some of the most popular Amazon devices.
- Amazon’s Alexa is one of the best selling Amazon devices.
- Alexa has over 30,000 skills and can control over 4,000 home devices.
- In the U.S. and U.K. Alexa’s language recognition has improved over 25% in the last 12 months alone.
- Twice as many Fire TV Sticks and Kids Edition Fire Tablets sold this holiday season than the previous year.
Amazon Prime Day Stats
Amazon Prime Day is a 30-hour event held in July to provide those with an Amazon Prime membership with amazing deals akin to similar sales such as Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
The event originated as a 24-hour sales but was extended last year to accommodate the number of users clamoring to participate in the event. Amazon Prime Day is one of the highest sales revenue days for Amazon and includes not only sales but also giveaways. Check out these fascinating facts about Amazon Prime Day.
- 2017 Amazon Prime Day Sales were recorded at $2.4 billion up over $900 million from the previous year’s sales at $1.5 billion.
- Prime Day is a record sales day for Amazon surpassing their sales for both Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- More members join Prime on Prime Day than any other day of the year.
- The Amazon website saw a total of 187 million visits on the two days that Amazon Prime Day covered.
- Prime Day conversions rates for Amazon were a record high of 18.6% which is more than 50% of their average conversion rate.
- 53 million Americans bought something from Amazon on Prime Day.
Amazon Prime Member Stats
Amazon Prime is one of Amazon’s most popular member benefits providing strong competition for video providers such as Netflix and Hulu.
Amazon Prime not only provides viewers with thousands of the most popular titles in movies and television series, it also provides original movies and series that viewers can only watch on Amazon Prime.
- In the past three years, 25% of Prime members began to utilize Prime Video service.
- One of the most popular Prime Originals was “The Man in the High Castle” which generated 8 million viewers in the U.S. alone.
- 13 million U.S. Prime uses utilize Prime Video with almost 37 million enjoying the videos globally.
- Prime uses have watched 17 million more videos than their counterparts streaming Hulu.
- The estimated 2017 budget for Amazon content on Prime Video was $4.5 billion.
- Prime Video is available in over 200 countries worldwide.
- Amazon Studio movies have grossed over $240 million worldwide.
Fun Facts About Amazon
Even if you are a regular Amazon shopper, there are still many things you may or may not know about the internet giant. One of the most impressive things about them is their sales figures.
- Their average daily sales are just over $410 million,
- which means they sell an average of over $17 million per hour,
- over $283,000 per minute, and over $4722 per second.
Amazon fans may also be interested in learning these fun facts as well:
- Amazon got its roots in CEO’s Jeff Bezo’s garage in Washington.
- It started originally as a bookseller.
- Amazon employs over 117,000 workers worldwide.
- More than half of the products sold worldwide were sold by third-party sellers using the Amazon selling platform.
- The company lost $4.8 million when the website went down for 40 minutes.
- Amazon’s renewable energy projects provide power to over 330,000 homes annually.
- Amazon strives to reduce packaging wastes and has developed a system that has reduced the equivalent of 305 million boxes.
- Amazon has over 1,510,000 customers a 738% increase since it humble beginnings.
- Amazon holds a patent on the 1-click buying.
- The Amazon Phoenix fulfillment center is 1.2 million square feet.
Amazon has shown itself to be the prime contender for other businesses entering the online marketplace with increasing sales year after year.
The company continues to grow through acquisitions, development, and new product and service offerings, ensuring its livelihood in a constantly changing consumer world. As online shopping begins to become the norm for everything from everyday groceries to major holiday shopping, Amazon will continue to rise above the pack.